Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 23, 2010

...Veggie Lasagna.....doubled?!?


...well here we are I am waiting for the significant other to come home and 2 lasagnas....yes TWO are sitting in my freezer.....I am still somewhat amazed how I managed to "rearrange" everything and get it all in there....in my dreams I own a home with a deep freeze so things like this and "stocking-up" on stuff is a little more realistic....

....so I started to saute the onions and brown mushrooms and on a whim decided that the yellow squash should be in included in this layer of the lasagna....while boiling all of the noodles (only 3 at a time) I mixed together 3 leaves of dried basil and added it to the fat free ricotta.....you may remember earlier this summer when I could not contain my enthusiasm for how CHEAP and GOOD the farmers market basil is.....

....I finally found a great way to "handle" the eggplant....thank you parchment paper....I lined the baking sheet with it, then sprayed it with pam and sprinkled some Italian seasoning on it....laid out the sliced eggplant, then proceeded to do the same to get some great searing on it...so more pam and Italian seasoning it was.....under the broiler for just over 10 minutes did the trick....yeah, no more adding tons and tons of olive oil to take care of the eggplant in the frying pan......although tasty, I concur that deep-frying not only is a mess but that it is not quite the healthiest route.....


1.) Spray pans with pam.
2.) Line with whole wheat noodles
3.) Spread on thin layer of voodka sauce (I am partial to Safeway brand!)
4.) Layer with mushroom, onion, squash blend (1/2 per pan)
5.) More noodles!
6.) Now comes the eggplant...
7.) Crumble on herbed ricotta cheese (1/2 per pan)
8.) More noodles!
9.) thin layer of sauce and top with shredded mozarella


Now I remember that you need to bake it in the oven covered for most of the time and then the last few minutes uncovered to get the top of the cheese golden brown....will add more when cooking for company.....


....I guess in retrospect that 2 pans of lasagna makes great sense as one could serve one for dinner the day of preparation and then save one in the freezer for a day when all you want to do is talk....then eat.....but seeing as though I am not that kind of gurl, I decided to simultaneously make green peppers stuffed with a fontina orzo with mushrooms and broccoli....perhaps not dollar menu worthy...but hopefully delicious.....


.....2 pans of lasagna = 16 servings for just over $15.00......close I know.....but still room left over....maybe a piece of garlic toast or a simple salad might do the trick if you had to get it up to a dollar a serving.... ~enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment