Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 27, 2010

Coconut Curry Sirloin Pork Chops....

...let's first start by noting the fact that is has been WAY to long since I have done this....and let me tell you this really was a challenge...for one I have never cooked a pork chop before....yes, it is true....trust me I have my excuses...for one, my mother somehow sled into a phase where she lost her passion for cooking....and many many over cooked pork chops where had for dinner....thank god she made the best sweet BBQ sauce to go with it.....and rice of course, that stuff was great but the chops were dryer than a syrah and as a result it basically permanently turned me off from pork chops....thus tonight being the first pork chop I have cooked....

....it was a great cut: boneless sirloin....I of course let it sit marinating with Pete's seasoning.....ask me about this....then started blanching the cauliflower while getting some extra virgin olive oil heating in the big skillet for the sauteed onions, zucchini squash, bean sprouts, and cherry tomatoes cut in half....leaving about 3 minutes between adding each one...does that even make sense?.....and to think I am a teacher, yet sometimes lack the ability to explain something properly....lol....so I start by adding the sliced onions in the hot oil....make sure that the pan is hot....then season with of course....my classic combination of seasoned salt, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flakes....after slight browning it is time to add the squash, then after tossing a few times add in the bean sprouts and cherry tomatoes......sprinkle in a little curry powder....its time.....

....meanwhile on another smaller skillet heat up some....yes you guessed it extra virgin olive oil....make sure it is cold single press.....makes all the difference in the world......then add the pork chop, probably only 3-4 minutes per side, you want to slightly under-cook the chop because the cut is so thin, and it will continue to cook when it is added to the veggies.....let the meat rest....

....take that darn pan that you just perfectly browned the chop in and add in half a can of coconut milk.....of course low fat....I mean did you even have to ask....hello healthy.....thoroughly cover the milk with curry and whisk you little heart away...the best thing to use this is a mini-wisk....I have one that the handle is an egg....thanks to a certain someone we shall refer to as Bacvar.....always and forever....

.....once the curry coconut milk is frothy and fully mixed add to the sauteed veggies....slice the chop....it has been sitting just enough time for all of the juices to constitute in the cut......mix around in the veggies with creamy coconut curry sauce and.....

...serve over a bed of basmati rice.....enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious!

    I like your pairing of the vegies as sometimes I am not creative enough when it comes to exotic cuisine (yes, anything with curry or coconut in it is exotic to me and I love using those ingredients!)

    I discovered a great recipe a few years ago for Coconut Curry Chops and I still can't find it. I have been wanting to make it but can't find that darn recipe!

    So I have been searching the internet and even reading my Vegetarian Times (until a light bulb went off in my head - why the heck would a pork chop recipe be in a vegetarian magazine lol)

    So.. although I am not a vegetarian, I look to vegetarians and vegetarian magazines for pairing ideas and, well, you gave me a really simple but GREAT pairing idea for coconut curry pork chops. I love the idea that you decided to use bean sprouts - yum!!!

    Your recipe sounds similar except I do remember the recipe I used called for tumeric (basically, it is your classic combination seasoning plus tumeric.)

    The other difference that I remember was the recipe called for hot chili peppers and that was the first time I used hot chili peppers from a can. The recipe only called for two chili peppers, diced up and added I think at the same time as the crushed garlic.. but I didn't have any use for the rest of the chili peppers so I said, what the heck, I'll use the whole can... I don't think I have to tell you the result but I will say this: it was delicious and worth the heat!

    Anyhow, sorry for rambling on - I am just so excited to use your recipe with some minor modifications but I am going completely with your vegetable selection and preparation. However, I will use your recipe 'as is' when I am entertaining guests that are heat sensitive!

    I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete