Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 9, 2010

Vegetarian Enchiliadas.....


...at a sinfully delicious price of $6.66 this one makes 8 servings....of course this one took a few more calculations than normal as I also made some with shrimp....in the past I have made them with chicken as well...the best was using the left-overs from a roasted chicken....ahhh Sunday night dinner....a classic in my mind....as as a child I have fond memories of having roasted chicken on Sunday nights with my Grandmother, of course as we watched a hockey game....for all those canucks out there Hockey Night in Canada used to be on Sundays....now its double headers on Saturdays...man I miss CBC....enough of that....here we go:

....clean, and cut up one onion, 2 green peppers (they were on sale for 53 cents a pound...HOLY BUCKETS!), and one red pepper...I of course added my staple seasonings of: seasoned salt, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes....while all that is happening I took a can of refried beans added a few jalapenos (apparently too many for everyone else ;)....) and topped with shredded cheese....place on low and cover with aluminum foil....all you are really doing is looking for the cheese to melt and the beans to be hot, or warm depending on your preference....the side dish of refried beans is not included in the $6.66 price tag of the meal to feed 8 however I am going to assume that with 2 cans you can get the job done as I purchase cans when they are on sale for a buck a pop!.....

....take the pepper and onion mix and wrap up in the whole wheat wraps and place in a baking dish....break out that can opener again and top with enchilada sauce....it is the most amazing thing to me how dog gone great it tastes....and its from a freakin' can.....then of course, top with more shredded cheese and place in the oven for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees.....the cheese will be nice and bubbly and if you are lucky slightly browned on the highest peaks....serve with a side of beans and call it a night!.....

.....Being the 1950s housewife that I am, I was also somehow inspired to serve this meal with some homemade guacamole and chips...the salsa alas was from a jar....in case you are interested....


Guacamole: 1 ripe avocado, 1 heaping spoon of fat free sour cream, garlic powder and salt to taste....I love guacamole so much that sometimes I eat that alone as a meal....judge me as you will.....I love me some guac....

Pita Chips: take pita and spray one side with pam, sprinkle on seasoned salt and garlic powder, repeat on other side and bake in oven for 10 minutes (or so) then cut up into 8ths....so simple, so easy, so tasty....and if they are whole wheat....so tasty....

...hmmmmmm tomorrow night: will bruschetta make the cut?

1 comment:

  1. .......ok, so I may have been wrong.....was Hockey Night in Canada ever on a Sunday?....we'll see what the judges say....

    ReplyDelete