Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 3, 2010

First Baking Post!

Yes, that's right!  I have finally gotten to add baking to the dollar menu!  I definitively baked in bulk.....there were two lemon loaves...an experiment for sure....I have never ever made lemon loaf before....but I certainly have eaten it....and loved it!....I was also up past midnight baking the most versatile recipe I have for chewy oatmeal cookies....I'm not sure what is better, the fact that they are cholesterol free or that fact that they are unbelievably tasty......for the cafe mocha blend I like to add 1 heaping teaspoon of coffee grounds...and 1/2 of a bag of swirl chocolate chips....it is the perfect combination.....for the second double batch of cookies I added dried cranberries and white chocolate chips.....this combination I have done many times...the cafe mocha was a recent revelation.....

....since I baked in bulk a serving of these baked goods would equal 1 slice of lemon loaf....that is if you slice the lemon loaf in 10.....really a fairly thick slice.....and 2 cookies.....one of each or two of a kind...all for under a dollar!....the best part is is that you can take all of these and freeze them.....or take them in to work and share with your co-workers.....to spice things up a bit I also added 2 jars of chai tea mix for the bake sale....it is simply sublime and no credit shall go to me as I got this recipe from a great friend of mine Michelle.....she also gave me the greatest gift ever...Cheerio....my 3 year old female cinnamon cockatiel......enough of this....on to the recipes!


Basic Chewy Oatmeal Cookies:
  recipe yields 36-44 cookies

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp molasses
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cups brown sugar
3 cups oatmeal
1 cup corn oil
4 egg whites (beaten)
4 Tbsp water
2 tsp vanilla extract

    In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, molasses, salt, cinnamon, and sugar....mix together well.....be sure to get all the lumps out of the brown sugar.......then add in the oats.....mix together.....take oil, egg whites, water, and vanilla and whisk together in a small bowl....then add moist mixture to the dry mixture....mix together well then add treats: I made 2 suggestions above which are rather tasty....I have also crushed up almonds to the white chocolate cranberry.....and if you are looking to be really traditional you could go for raisins....to tell you the truth the husband loves the plain oatmeal the best......bake at 350 degrees for 11-14 minutes....under-cooking them slightly will increase the chewiness factor.....

....I know that this also includes the lemon loaf....however seeing as though that recipe is a great grandmother Bole's recipe.....I am not ready to give it up yet.....

      ....enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I just made your cookies and Ronnie loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...oh bless your heart Dolly.....you are the first to post a comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete