Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Tomato Fava Quinoa


  This was part of the mystery box challenge!  While I was working on getting rid of a left over pork roast I decided that I wanted to use......for the very first time......some fava beans!  I have never cooked with fava beans and was not quite sure what in the heck I was going to do with them when I bought them....but I did because they were on sale....the international sign to me that they are indeed in season, and therefore one can assume at their prime!
  So I started by pulling the actual beans out of the pod....kinda like peas but on a larger thicker scale...I loved the feeling of the inside of the fava pod....it was so soft....like the silk lining of a coffin.....this comparison makes me think that perhaps I have watched a little too much Six Feet Under this summer....
  I ended up boiling the fava beans.....not sure how long....but I can tell you that I freaking over cooked them....so next time it will be considered more of a blanch.....after I cooked them I realized that there was a coating on the bean itself....the part you are supposed to eat....so I ran them under cold water and finally released the fava bean....they have such a great taste.....and I thought might go well in some quinoa.....and it did....I also ended up adding the roma tomato and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese......if I had vegetable stock I would have cooked the quinoa in that as it adds so much more flavor.....but I didn't so I didn't.....it ended up tasting great and comes in at under a dollar a serving....this makes a great leftover to be paired with something special....it is even good cold! 

 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment